Monday, November 30, 2009

For the love of letterpress!



Let's get this straight. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, that I love more than to see letterpress printing. There's just something about feeling the texture of those etchings in a piece of paper that makes me smile. Which is why when I saw this post on 100 Layer Cake's super-fab blog, I did not hesitate to enter, so I could get my hands on some little letterpress lovelies of my own. So you can imagine my excitement to see this even better post last week, informing me I had won the giveaway! Out of 156 entries, folks! I am the luckiest letterpress-loving girl in the land. :)



And I mean it too. I got them in the mail already and that's exactly what I'm going to do with my first note, though they are almost to pretty to use. Those girls at Peach Press (don't you just love that name, southern gals?) know their stuff! If I lived in LA, I would most definitely be making a weekly visit to see them. That said, we can't hate on the amazing little shops we have right here under our nose in Nashville. Such as this awesomeness.


Launched in 1879, this is one of the world's oldest letterpress print shops, and their work is nothing short of amazing. The Ryman Auditorium, which you all know is dear to my heart, is one of their biggest clients, having used Hatch to design the posters for all those great country acts since the Grand Ole Opry was housed there. I just think it's so cool to know that they've been cranking out these babies all these years, and now they've become collector's items. And that is your history lesson for the day.
P.S. I think they make fabulous Christmas gifts, myself. Check out their store, housed in our very own Country Music Hall of Fame, and see if you don't agree.
P.P.S. I was lucky enough to hear Jim Sherraden, the Manager, Chief Designer, and Archivist at Hatch Show Print, speak last week at a luncheon, and it was fascinating. You wouldn't believe the jewels of history he has in his amazing collection. He's been commissioned to do designs for everyone from Johnny Cash to Louis Armstrong to Brad Paisley and he's also written this book, which would be a great gift for the music lover in your family. Just call me one of Santa's elves.
Had I more time, I would have done something like this poster below to have on hand at the wedding reception, and let all the guests sign around it instead of the traditional photo, but he informed me you need 4-6 weeks lead time to turn something custom around. Epic fail on my part, I know. But for all you brides to be out there, I woud definitely think about having it done - it's so very NASHVILLE!



In other news, we're now at 32 days and counting til The Big Day. Picture me pumping my fist and saying "yesssssssss." I am finally to the point where I'm loving every minute of it, and am ready to coast for this last month of the process. The wedding invitations are out the door, the rehearsal invitations and bridesmaid brunch invitations will be in hand this week, and the RSVPs are starting to come in! And the gifts - LAWD! Girls, let me tell you, it is feeling like Christmas every day and it so much fun getting all these fun things! My favorite gift so far has been "His" and "Hers" quilted stockings from my crazy awesome best friend/maid of honor - they are our first official Chrismas decoration! We're doing the official Christmas decor shopping trip on Friday - wish me luck on convincing Mr. T that yes, every room does in fact need some holiday love. :)

3 comments:

  1. Those cards are amazing! I'm in love. You're super duper lucky. It seems like you've won all kinds of things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS!!!!!! Lucky Girl! I am SUCH a fan of Hatch prints! I used The Spirit of Nashville for my STD's, but we seriously considered Hatch too!

    I can't believe you are only a month out from your wedding! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity