Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Recipes That Remind Me Of Fall, Part II

Meet my new best friend (for the chilly weather seasons anyway):


Raise your hand if you love crock pot recipes. Me too. Since I'm a working girl that often runs out of steam by 6 p.m., I love nothing more than coming home to a meal that's already cooked itself (and smelled my kitchen up with deliciousness). I'm a huge fan of a juicy pot roast (can't beat my mom's recipe with LOTS of potatoes, carrots, and onions), a hearty, homemade tortilla soup on a chilly evening, or even the tried and true Velveeta and Rotel on a brisk game day afternoon. That said, I plan to try this recipe out the minute the temps decide to cool down here in Nashville (hello, 90 degrees, I thought I bid you adieu!) because I was sold when I saw it was only five minutes of prep time - you can't beat that! (Also, thanks to my friend Melissa at Surprisingly Southern, I saw this great link for even more fall recipes compiments of another delish resource, Annie's Eats!

Sweet and Sour Slow Cooker Chicken

(compliments of you guessed it, Mel's Kitchen Cafe)

*Note: The chicken cooks up with quite a lot of juicy sauce. I prefer lightly draining the sauce and serving it on the side so that it isn’t so “soupy” as we are dishing it up over our rice. Serve it as you please!

*Serves 6-ish

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup low-sodium beef broth

In a large skillet, heat the butter/olive oil. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and cook them for 1-2 minutes on each side, until nicely browned but not cooked all the way through. Remove the chicken to the slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine all the other ingredients. Whisk well. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours. Serve over brown rice or noodles and a mixed green salad. Yummo!

4 comments:

  1. I saw this recipe this morning and thought the exact same thing! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I just got a crockpot and I really am not 100% sure what to cook in in, Or that to do with it really. I will be using this recipe one day hopefully soon! :)

    http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy crock pot meals are one of my favorite things about cooler weather! Thanks for sharing another great one that I can add to my collection. I especially can't wait for my first pot roast of the season, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love our crock pot. We mostly use it to make pulled pork for pork sammies. We've tried a few other recipes, onlty my cjicken cacciatore turned out. The Candyman made chicken and dumplings that I thought was good, but he didn't. Thanks for the great link!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity