Friday, May 7, 2010

Friday Fun: A Little About Lil

I don't know about you guys, but the term "TGIF" has never been more meaningful to me than it is today. Let's see, this time last week I was in the lovely Vanderbilt ER getting treated for yet another allergic reaction, with my throat swollen up to the size of a pin needle. But that's another story.

Then, the grandfather of all floods hit our beloved city of Nashville, and turned this place upside down - literally. It has been absolutely surreal to see such an outpouring of love and support every time I turn on the news or open my morning copy of The Tennesseean, not to mention all the great local blogettes who are giving mad props to the Music City by doing their own little recaps. In fact, it's not just the local gals who are supporting the effort - it's gals from afar as well, such as one of my new favorites, Nola Girl. She featured a fantastic post on Thursday that really made me proud. Check it out here. I have truly been amazed with the way everyone has come together and rallied for the cause. Like my Facebook status says, I have never been more proud to be a Nashvillian. Needless to say, it has been a long week - and even longer for those who are sorting through what's left of their homes - and I think we all deserve one heck of a weekend.

Also - my church, CrossPoint, has been on the frontlines every single day this week doing volunteering out the wazoo, and was even featured on Anderson Cooper's segment on CNN last night. Talk about cool. I was so proud of my CrossPoint peeps for getting recognized for all their hard work and can't wait to join them for a bit tomorrow. Pastor Pete has been doing some great blog posts this week on how so many have pitched in to help - check them out here. Mr. T and I plan to join in the effort tomorrow, and I can't wait to get my feet wet, no pun intended.

So now for some fun...Nola Girl tagged me with a little award this morning, and all I have to do is tell you lovely people seven random facts about myself. Easy-breezy, huh?




Now I typically don't take part in these little ditties because they start to kind of feel like a chain letter or mass forward (i.e send on to five people or you'll have bad luck for five years) but because I do love this gal so much, and because I'm feeling rather restless on this Friday afternoon knowing there are SO many things I could be doing to help out my community and instead I'm stuck waiting on the 5:00 bell to chime so I can have a date night with my husband, I decided what the hey. So here's a little bit about me:


1. I'm a NOLA girl myself, actually! I was born there in 1980 and lived there for all of six weeks before my parents adopted me and moved me to Alabama, but I still claim it as my own. Something about the spirit of New Orleans is just so alluring. The music, the food, the people - I love it all. And everytime I take a walk in the Garden District, I feel right at home.





2. When I was 10 years old, I auditioned and got the part to play Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird, and seriously thought I was on the road to Hollywood. I would be lying if I said it didn't go to my head a little. I loved being involved with our local community theater group, and had absolutely zero stage fright as a kid, which is crazy to think of now, considering I get all clammy and shaky and nervous if I have to speak in front of more than five people. Ah, to be a kid again.




3. If I could look like anyone in the whole wide world, it would hands-down-without-a-doubt be Penelope Cruz. I can speak un pocito espanol, so I already have that going for me.




4. Even though I don't like to admit it, I'm stubborn as a mule. My dad made fun of me for it ever since I was a little girl, then my friends figured it out, and now my husband even realizes it. Sometime it takes me 24 hours to apologize for something for which I know I'm in the wrong. It's my biggest character flaw. I suppose I could have worse ones...





5. I'm allergic to pine nuts (hence the aforementioned visit to the ER last week). I discovered it when I was sixteen after diving into a pesto pizza my parents brought home for dinner, and have had reactions at Emeril's restaurant, on a first date, and a friend's bridal shower. The most recent one happened to be when I was alone, which was a pretty scary experience. So now, I carry one of these bad boys on me at all times. Which isn't fun when I want to carry a cute little clutch for the evening. But I've seen it firsthand - it saves lives, people!





6. I cry every single time I watch Extreme Home Makeover. And occasionally during commercials. And some country music videos. What, I have a very empathetic heart.


7. I hate to say it, but I kind of can't stand cats. Actually, I don't know if I can't stand them or I'm deathly afraid of them, but the sight of them completely freaks me out. I'm sorry for all you feline fans out there, but something about those little stinkers just scares the heck out of me. It's nothing personal, I promise. It's just that all they do is just sneak around and stare at you and pounce when you're least expecting it. Um, no thank you. They say the world is divided into cat people and dog people. I am wholeheartedly the latter. And speaking of, I'm on a mission to get one of these little guys very, very soon....



So there you have it. I hope you aren't completely bored to pieces. And I hope you all enjoy one well-deserved weekend! Oh, and don't forget to call your mama!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Just wanted to check in. I saw the telethon this weekend raised a ton of money for Nashville. It was wonderful to see so many people coming together for such a good cause!

    PS - i've never heard of a pine nut allergy. That's scary!

    Thanks for playing along! I loved learning more about you!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity